Sunday, May 3, 2015

A solid week in Mexicali

Dear All,
Pretty solid week. Actually not so much it was pretty hard. But it was all worth it.
So we have been taking hits these past couple of weeks with investigators who either start working on Sundays and can't go to church or they just literally disappear. It's super frustrating. But the Lord works in mysterious ways, and he when he wants us to know how much we are loved he does it in a huge, amazing way.
This week started off kind of like last week. We were finding lots of new people. But, as the scriptures say, "Many are called, but [very] few are chosen". It applies to missionary work. For example, of the 63 new investigators that we have found since I came here to Mexicali, we have 10 baptismal dates. It's hard work in the extreme. However, I feel like I'm growing a lot (hopefully a few inches ;) )
I don't have a whole lot to say this week, so I'm just gonna tell a funny story and then tell you guys about the baptism.
So we went on exchanges this week so that the Zone Leaders could do the baptismal interview for the people we had getting baptized. And the dude is American, played football, loves BYU sports, and is crazy, so I knew it was gonna be a fun day. Anyway, we were walking down the street practicing our English, and this lady calls to us. "HEY Elders! How's it going??" So we whip around and start talking to her. I sort of half recognized her, and the last time I thought I saw her I swear I remember her having a young child with her. So I asked her how her kid was doing. HAHA. Whoops. She got kind of serious and then said the following: "Yeah, he's good I guess. He'll be out of prison hopefully May 5." I died. I was fighting so hard not to laugh. It was so bad.
And then, still with the American dude, we started knocking doors. One lady let us in, and she was in a wheelchair. We asked her what had happened and she said that when they were putting the roof on her house one of those metal bars fell down and stabbed through her foot. And when they went to the hospital the doctor basically said to put a bandaid on it. So it got infected. But she trusted the doctor who had told her that it would heal pretty much by itself, so she let it go about 6 months without treatment. Then finally she went and had another doctor look at it, and right there and then he did surgery. So just imagine what this foot looks like. It was repulsive. And the whole time we were teaching here, she's sitting there rubbing the heck out of it. I threw up in my mouth about 9 times. And she had this powder on her foot, I don't know what it was for, but all of the sudden, from within the hole in her foot comes a drop of liquid. And I watched it trace its way through the powder, and then splat on the ground, nice and yellow. And then she shook our dang hands with that hand that had been rubbing that foot. I wanted to cry. I think I did.
But yeah that was on Friday, and then on Saturday we had Interviews with the president. That got me hyped. And then we had a baptism. It was pretty cool. They were two kids of a family that we've been teaching for a while. The mom and the dad couldn't for other reasons, but the kids were right there. Super awesome. Heck of an experience.
To answer your question, Mom, the ward here is about the same size as Universidad, about 70 or so active members. We do have our own building, but it is smaller than the Casa de Oración in Ensenada. The area is very big; we only work in a small part because there are a lot of gated neighborhoods who don't like missionaries. But its pretty cool. In my ward there's two English teachers, so I can practice a little bit. But it's a pretty good ward, I don't have really any complaints. They aren't tied to the missionaries like Universidad, but they're good people.
Anyway, that was my week. Hope you guys are all doing well.
Les quiero mucho,
Elder Rawlings

No comments:

Post a Comment